18.7.12

Making Good Neighbours

While cutting down the trees we used for building the boat slip, there were many very tightly packed very skinny trees that also got taken down along the way... as I was dragging those down the mountain and piling them up, I was wondering what to do with them. I saw George had built a very beautiful and pro fence as a windbreak for Shannon's garden, and I thought to myself, that is exactly what my future-garden of bountiful vegetables needs...

...so yesterday I made a good neighbour with the front of the lot, and built a small fence. I will plant raspberry and blackberry canes along one side, and probably peas or beans or something along the other, and hopefully it will become a reasonable windbreak for the rest of the garden... which will become larger next year (I keep telling myself I have enough projects this year, and the garden is already started, again, so I will add a little at a time).

In the meantime, although very leggy (I wonder if that green roof is actually too dark???!!), things are growing and being produced on a regualr basis in the greenhouse: basil, dill, lemon thyme, oregano, cilantro, parsley, mixed greens, spinach, and more....

...cukes...

... and next to basil and dill, my all-time favorites, the tomoatoes are starting to appear!!

No comments: