27.5.12

Greenhouse Teleporting Complete

Last weekend was a long weekend, and although originally we had thought we would get away camping somewhere, we opted to stick close to home instead. So the new plan was to get the greenhouse moved from the other side of the house to 'here', and finish the siding on he house all in these three days...

The shape changed a little bit, and the structure is definitely not as square as it was on the other side of the slope, but...

...we still got the roof on, and I still think it's beautiful.

A little carribean flavour in the sky...

... and a definitely Newfoundland evening.

The chives got transplanted, a few strawberries were saved from the dense undergrowth, along with a few straggly blueberry 'bushes' (more like stems) that unfortunately got weedwhacked to bits last year when Hiiner was doing me a great favour and surprised me by doing a large section of the 'mowing' when I was away one day.

The basil is growing as I watch...

I really love these old windows-- the horizontal ones came from New Orleans via a friend who rescued them from Katrina's carnage, most came from older houses in Corner Brook, and some even from our house when we replaced a few windows as well. All the wood was re-used, the screws were the same ones I used the first time around, and the cinder blocks Ian rescued from the dump last year. Even the soil is recycled-- we wheel barrowed it over to this side too. To contain the soil and make the beds both inside and out, I am using parts of my glass crates.

This weekend, the greenhouse has been a source of solace, and now finally, I just finished planting my seeds. Note that the cherry trees in the background are now in bloom (last week, they were only just about to bud out). Beautiful!

I took a few old hanging baskets and cut holes in them, trying out the upside down tomoato plant idea... and next year I will have the second tier of shelves in there as well. For now, this is wonderful enough.

And as far as the last gaps and cracks go, I am using glass jars to fill those spaces... it will be a process in collecting them, I know, but what better use, seeing as these aren't recycled on the island...

...this column will take time...

... and this one-- jam jars, pickling jars... maybe dual-use, I will take them down after the growing season is over, perhaps even can a few things!
We never got to the siding.

No comments: