12.4.12

Back Again!

Having been on-and-then-off-and-then-on-but-mostly-off-line for just over a week, exciting happenings have been piling up... so now that it looks like we have internet again, I am on my way to posting again!
Easter Break for most schools around here means a week off... so I hired two gr. 8 students to help me out for a few days in the studio:
Triina and Julia...

... spent two days tracing out hundreds of pieces, choosing glass, and organising scraps...

Julia crushing glass (in the spring sunshine!!)...

...Triina sifting and organising; the crushed glass containers remind me of paint pots...

We also took breaks for a few walks with dogs...

...checked out the melt-water-- falls are big right now!

Triina's surreal photo of river ice swept on-shore.

The girls stayed over-night, so we got the chance to try out making fleece dreads. The wool was from sheep on the south shore, we didn't have a carder, so we spent a good bit of time plucking the strands apart by hand, then felting the fleece into 'ropes', and we tried dyeing with coolaid powder to get bright colours...

...results: GREAT!

Now two more people have colourful dreads in their hair!


While the girls were out crushing, I took the opportunity to start my apple tree; when I get the chance, I will make more apple blossoms to fill the tree. It's certainly starting to feel more like spring every day!

No comments: