15.4.11

Fish Times at O-AT-KA Glass!

So... building a fish from glass is a BIG process... to finish off the project, I took a trip to O-AT-KA Glass School to take a master class with Anna Boothe.

We built a rubber mold around the wax that I had carved...

... and then a mother mold around the rubber mold...  
... but the rubber mold allowed me to build another wax mold that I built another mold for (that would be fired in the kiln)...

... it's a big mother ... mold...

... new wax out...

... added sprues to the wax, and removed tail and fins (too thin, the glass won't flow into those spaces, so I have to cast separate molds for each on of them, and codl work them, then glue them ontot the fish when that actually comes out of the kiln...)

Building the other mother mold...

... lots of clay, plaster, silica...

... indispensible duct tape...

...chicken wire for support...

..and finally, the mother of all mother molds, that went into the kiln... I won't see what comes out for about 7 days... so I'll keep you posted, and as for me, fingers will be crossed...
I am very grateful to my sweet friends Lance and Amanda Taylor who own the glass school, for taking me in for this project, and to Anna Boothe for all her help and info that was more than she had planned for her class. Hopefully we will be a happy village of fish-builders when I can finally see what happened during the firing process!

1 comment:

Mauzy said...

Wowza. That's some fish! Good work on the mold!