24.8.10

Coming and Going

My installation Coming and Going at the Deer Lake Airport is now up and ready for action! It has been a long process, and I have learned a tremendous amount. During the series of installations-- there have been many revisions, and they weren't simple to make (each glass piece requires 3-4 brackets that are all unique becuase of the irregular curvature of the copper net, the curvature of the glass sections, and the placement of each section with respect to each other and the net as a whole, and the time to install each individual piece ranged from 30 to 90 minutes)-- I realised that the end result would not be what I had originally envisioned. Three-dimensional reality is very different from drawings on flat paper... we finalised the project late last night, waiting for sometimes hours for flights to land and depart so that we could work in between the rushes of travellers. It will take me a while to let the final result percolate in my head-- we have been thinking of completely different layout for the glass pieces, but unsure whether these new ideas would be better than what I have now. That's the way of designing, I guess!
Ralph Ball of Western Steel in Deer Lake lining up the first row of copper pieces for the net. We spent the day bending, organising, riveting and drilling the copper to get it to the shape that I wanted. In the end, once the net was on the wall and my brother Tonu and I were attaching glass to the net, we still made modifications to the net itself, adding stand-offs, and extra copper lengths to make sure it was all good and strong and safe!
Distributing the ends...
... laying out cardboard cutouts for idea of placement... this is when I first realised that because of the bends in the copper, the final product would not look like my drawings... something about curves and rigid glass that changes things in three-dimensional reality!
The net is up, and Ralph came by to discuss adding more support to the outside bottom edges.
First piece of glass installed... this one would be moved 4 times (4 sets of new brackets!!)
... second day of glass installtion... with only a small window of time allotted to work, and many mysteries to solve, the first few days were slow going!
Third day... more fish on...
...fourth day... re-thinking some of the water pieces...
... so close to completion, when the Boss decides that some things must change...
... most of day spent moving pieces, and re-doing brackets... not there yet...
... the Oldsters came by for a look yesterday...
... detail of Tonu adjusting one of the copper pieces...
... just before the final piece was put on.
If you would like to see the final version (for now, who knows, it may yet change completely), please visit the Deer Lake Airport!

7 comments:

island sweet said...

exquisite! i'll see it in person on thurs. xxx

Brenda Stratton said...

C'est magnifique! You should be very proud. xxxb Can't wait to see it in person someday soon.

Marshall Arts said...

so so impressive!! this is fantastic - both seeing your work in a public space and that it's the Deer Lake airport :)

Maureen said...

Urve, it's fantastic, I can't wait to see it in person this Friday when I take Murray for his flight. Well done! Completely inspiring!!

Urve Manuel said...

Thanks so much for the positive responses!! It sure is a nice feeling... hoping I can carry on from here!

Coralee said...

What a work of art...it's AMAZING!!! and i'm not sure when I will get to Deer Lake airport, so I"m really glad to have seen it on your blog, which by the way I read most every day! Your flowers are awesome...and your world looks like it is full of wonderous adventures....thanks for sharing..Hello to your mom!

Urve Manuel said...

Mom says hello back! Thanks Coralee-- glad that you do check in... nice to know people actually get on my blog just for the halibut!