11.6.10

My Kingdom for a Lap wheel!!

I decided to change the shape of my Midnight Raven bowl the other day-- just for fun, you know how it is-- and the mold broke, so this is the only bowl that will have this particular shape. I love the wide bottom and the high sides. I don't love the grinding... because the bowl was elliptical to begin with (meant to represent the universe), during the slump, the not-symmetry really became accentuated; I was wondering if this would be a good thing, but thought that most people would prefer closer-to-symmetry rather than the opposite... so I started grinding...

... and grinding and grinding and grinding with my tiny little grinder bit... so far 5 hours... then hand sanding with pads, working up through the grits...

... this also lasted for some hours...

... so now I am thinking about it and looking at my Raven in the studio, and will decide whether I should go at it again, or leave as is... and wondering why the Lap Wheels are so expensive, and only produced or distributed from the States, and have so much duty attached to their already costly shipping fees, and how to go about overcoming all those obstacles. So far, no good ideas.

No comments: