21.1.10

Custom Work

I love custom orders! Much of the time, working from photos and trying to fit a client's requests into a piece forces me to try something different, which is very appealing! In this piece, I wanted to incorporate northern lights (which meant a night scene), trees laden with snow (but as it is a night scene, can's be completely seen), ski trails, and the ski lodge...
... so for this one, I used a black background, which can be a bit daunting. In these photos, it is not very apparent, but there are a series of trees receding into the background, and a hardwood tree in the foreground as well-- these I made with clear colourless glass just to have the textured feel of having something 'thicker' (the forest) behind the trees in the foreground. Similarly, I used the same colourless glass to create a texture of snow on the roof of the lodge, as well as a tree line in the background as a silhouette. Irridescent glass above as well as on the 'snow' in front of the lodge reflect the light and give the impression of sparkling snow and sky. This doesn't show up in the photo as I would have liked, but it is neat to see 'in person'...

No comments: